Friday, May 15, 2009

My Friday fitness tip

I haven't been around much lately because of my crazy, ever-changing, work schedule. But in my busy schedule I always make time to work-out. And I owe it all to big daddy! He is super into working out and being fit. "I may not be the tallest or the biggest guy around, but I am pound for pound strong." 
After I had tank I was blessed to have dropped my pregnancy weight and then some almost instantly. Now when I say instantly I mean like 2-3 months. I don't want to lose weight...I just want to be fit and lean...pound for pound strong. I am not, nor was I ever, the dreaded F-word (fat). But I am what some would call skinny-fat. I have a little extra on my arms, thighs, and midsection. With 4 children the thought of working out for me was as foreign as speaking mandarin chinese! LOL. I was tired all the time and whenever I looked into the mirror, images of my former cheerleading self would flash next to the image that was looking back at me. So I asked big daddy what I could do to at least start trying to get back into working out. And he gave me the best advice ever! From that I am the person I am today: on my way to a leaner, fitter, healthier person. So what was this great advice you ask? Well here it is.....

3 sets of 10 pushups
3 sets of 10 squats
3 sets of 10 crunches

Is that it? Unbelieveably yes. 3 times a week for about a month. It takes no more than 20 minutes. Between each set, you rest 30-60 seconds. Do it as soon as you wake up, in your pajamas if you want. Thats what I did. If tank was awake, I would lay him under me when I did pushups, and lay him in between my legs when I did squats. I would kiss him or tickle him when I came to the ground. 
Now it does take some discipline. Some days I thought, OMG I'm just too tired. Or I'll just do it tomorrow. But as the weeks went on it did get easier and I was really starting to notice the changes in my body.
Once you get used to the workout, change it up. I would do a set of pushups, then squats, then crunches...rest...2nd set of squats, then crunches, then pushups...rest...last set of crunches, then pushups, then squats. You can change it up however you want. You can even add weights.
This is the perfect beginner workout if you ask me. I started to even add jumping jacks in between sets to get some cardio in and get my heart pumping. 
My workouts have grown since then, but I wouldn't be where I'm at if I didn't start out slow. You don't need a fancy gym membership or fancy equipment. You just need determination and drive. The drive to a fitter you. So try it out. What have you got to lose? And please...let people know...Let them know your goals of becoming a fitter you. You need a support team. Blog about it, tweet about it. Email me and I'll be your personal cheerleader here in Louisiana. (mommybeautiful [at] att [dot] net)
So long for now moms (& dads). And here's to a fitter (and healthier) YOU!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. holy crap!! you must can get into my mind!! I sooo needed this today!!

    I am feeling crappy about myself, need to do something...will you be my cyberspace trainer? dang it... why can't we all live together closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be your cyber trainer! lol...I do wish we lived closer together!

    ReplyDelete